We have sold tons of products to many cabin and cottage owners. They are a creative group of free thinkers. They have been a pleasure to work with all these years. in this guide I hope to share some information on solar setups for cabins.
Most example will focus on cabins without other power sources. There will be one example for a cabin with generator for additional power.
Solar Cabin Guide
We all like to get away. Some of us like to really get away. This is where small off grid cabins are found. These are cabins found in the middle of the woods where power and cable lines are few and far between.
Solar power is perfect for these small cabins. Solar can provide basic power for lighting, power inverters, and battery charging.
Most solar setups will require that your cabin meet certain basic solar requirements.
- Cabin must have southern exposure that receives full sunlight.
- Owner must be able to bring solar panels to cabin, even if one at a time.
- Solar panels should be able to be secured for inclimate weather.
- Solar Exposure should be within 50 feet of cabin to reduce wire size.
- Owner should expect to also need batteries, power inverter, and charge controller.
A basic solar cabin uses the following components.
- Solar Panels
- Cabling from Panels to Battery
- Wire connectors
- Ground Wire
- Grounding Rod
- Battery Bank
- Power Inverter
- GFCI Outlets or Breaker
- Cables from inverter to Battery Bank
- Solar Charge Controller
This diagram does not include every feature or design item, but is a simple layout to help you understand what components are included in setting up a cabin for off grid solar use. Many people use DC lighting in combination with higher quality AC lighting to fill in when needed.
We can help you calculate a system for you.Expect to buy a really large solar setup to run even a small air conditioner, electric heater or normal refrigerator. However other loads can be done even with a modest solar panel setup. Call us at 1-504-864-3377